13 May 2012

(Welcome?) Changes

I think it was around February, maybe March, when I applied for a ‘Writing MA’ at my current university. And yesterday I got an email telling me my offer was finally made unconditional, which means I’m in. The selection was based on portfolio, so needless to say I am relieved as hell. While this does not mean that next year will be a relaxing one from a workload point of view (I’ve heard this particular MA is pretty tough), it will be a load off my back emotionally. After six straight years of philosophy, with little to no time, at least during the last two years, to focus on much else without pangs of guilt messing up my enjoyment of it, I’m more than ready for something new. Not that I will give up philosophy, of course not. It is probably too deeply engrained in my everyday life for me to just ‘escape’ it. That makes it sound so bad, like a demanding boyfriend – all I'm saying is it ties in with what I said a few days ago about elements in your life "moulding" you. Philosophy isn't exactly a virus. Or maybe it is, I don't know anymore. The thing is, I just don’t want to be a ‘philosopher’ exclusively. There are other things that investing my energy into makes me happy, and focussing solely on one single thing for too long can’t be good for you, otherwise Stephen King probably wouldn’t have written a book about it. Nor would G.W.F. Hegel, the philosopher I’m writing my dissertation on, whose work (the part I’m focussing on at least) implies that, when it comes to the activities you engage in in order to express yourself, you shouldn’t put all your eggs in one basket. Conveniently enough, it seems that he agrees with me on diversity being key. Then again, I’ve spent over four months with my nose buried in his work – the least he can do is agree with me.
Anyways, I’m excited, and I can’t wait to put the final full stop on my dissertation so I can start a new episode in my life. 

1 comment:

  1. Philosophy IS a virus. I have the Foucauldian strain, drives you mad like syphilis. That's why I'm not working on my thesis right now - keeping my nose in one of his books any more and my nose was going to rot and fall off.

    ReplyDelete